Smart business owners use websites and blogs to reach would-be customers and engage with their existing clients. Though most business owners know the value of creating amazing content, the importance of choosing a good and reputable web host is often set aside. In my experience, most small businesses make wrong choices in the beginning because of improper evaluation of their needs.
Websites, website hosting, domains and website maintenance are foreign words to many people and it can get confusing. How do you sort through these concepts and understand what’s right for you? We find it helps to compare these terms to car ownership.
The car is your website, the car’s license plate is your domain, and the paid parking space is your hosting. You can either have street parking (cheap hosting), or garage parking (premium hosting).
Street parking is provided by a variety of the common popular shared hosting platforms you hear about, while garage parking is provided by our friends at WP Engine.
WP Engine provides sophisticated WordPress hosting that fits your needs. Whether you are setting up a personal blog or an intricate and complex multi-site for your brand, WP Engine makes managed WordPress hosting a snap.
And while you don’t HAVE to do maintenance service or have a security system on your car (website), if you expect it to get you where you want to go, want to keep it safe from vandalism and protect it from being stolen, it is necessary.
Maximizing profits is one of the most essential priorities in your business. If you think a wrong web hosting or not maintaining your website will not have a negative impact on your income, think again. The following are the results of choosing the wrong web hosting and lack of website maintenance.
- Revenue Loss – when your website is down, customers will not be able to learn about your products or services. Furthermore, if you have an online store, potential sales and income are lost too.
- Malware Attacks and Security – There is no perfect solution for a secured website but a reputable hosting company will do a regular data back up on a remote server so it will be easy to restore your site in case it gets hacked. A hosting company can assist you with maintenance, technical support and security issues 24 hours a day.
- Negative effect on SEO Ranking – If your site is down repeatedly when search engines are attempting to visit this will give adverse result on your site ranking.
So how do you choose a reliable web hosting company? Here are some tips that can help you decide:
- Excellent uptime track record – hosting provider must take every precaution to ensure maximum uptime. Look for a hosting provider that offer at least an average of 99 percent uptime.
- Good reputation – find a host with a top-notch reputation by doing a backgound check, have enough endorsements and testimonials from current clients and who regularly check maintenance schedules and average downtime statistics.
- Outstanding Customer Support – because the internet never sleeps, your chosen provider should offer 24/7 support that offers fast and knowledgeable service.
- Cost consideration – “You get what you pay for” and as a business owner, you cannot afford to experience long period of downtime. It may cost you more upfront but it will be more reliable in the long run. The quality of technical support is a lot better too.
Remember that choosing a hosting provider solely on price is not worth the hassle and headaches if your site goes down. There are a lot of web hosting companies out there. It’s crucial to select a hosting provider carefully since your business will depend on it. Do your homework.
We are proud to have a strong relationship with WP Engine and have secured 20% off and 2 months free for annual payment for all our referrals and clients. Visit our own dedicated page with this special offer.